What is lesson study?
- It is a school-based teacher-led continuing professional development model for teachers. It originated in Japan in 1872.
- It is a professional learning process in which teachers work collaboratively to:
- formulate goals for students learning in long-term development
- develop “research” lessons to bring those goals to life
- implement the lesson and document observations
- discuss the evidences gathered during the lesson implementation and use them to improve the lesson
- teach and study the lesson again to further refine it.
- It provides teachers an opportunity to see teaching and learning in the classroom. This enables them to develop a common understanding of what effective teaching practice entails in relation to student thinking and learning.
- It keeps students at the heart of professional development activities
- Being teacher-led, teachers can be actively involved in instructional change and curriculum development.